Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Latest

So, I received my Amazon Kindle today, and, uhhhh, it's like the best thing ever. If you're one of those people that always has a book with you (like me), it might be something you'd be interested in. Not only does it hold 1,500 full length novels at a time, it plays MP3s, and has a basic web browser. All of the wireless conectivity is free of charge and can be used anywhere, not just with Wi-Fi (it uses the same technology as cell phones).

$9.99 for New York Times bestsellers instead of $30? Done.

Free instant downloads of books from Amazon's Kindle Store, no computer required? Done.

Saving millions of trees by not needing to destroy forests for paper? Done.

Anyways, I'm a fan if you can't tell. =)

Read anything good lately? Let me know! I'm always looking for good reads of any genre.

Looking for something to read? Well, those that know me well, know I've always had an interest in the myths and lore about vampires and werewolves (go rent, no go BUY Underworld and be amazed...then, go see the sequel that's in theatres now), so I would recommend the 4 part Twilight series by Stehpenie Meyer. If you saw the movie and was let down, still give the books a shot...they are sooooo much better. If you are not familiar with Twilight at all (which I doubt is the case unless you live under a rock...in the back of a dark cave...on another planet), it's an epic love story first, battle of werewolves and vampires second. Girls love the storyline because of the romance, and I love it because, well....aparently I'm a girl. =P

Anyways, Twilight yes, Stephenie Meyer's latest book The Host, not so much. If you want to read a modern, darker take on fairies, check out the Tithe trilogy by Holly Black. Avoid Stranger Things Happen, or atleast download the free copy from a place such as FeedBooks, that way you won't feel as though you've wasted money. If you need great stories and laughs together, anything by Christopher Moore will do. My personal favorite of his is Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. Yes, that's the actual title. I'm about to dive into the King Raven trilogy by Stephen R. Lawhead. It's a historical fiction series based around Robin Hood. I'll let you know how that one turns out.

On another note, two more weeks and Resident Evil 5 is out for Playstation 3! *happy dance* Speaking of the PS3, any of you own one? If so, drop me a message. My ID is Flixster79. I'm always looking for people to game with online, whether it's SOCOM, Rockband, whatever.

My stuffed jalapenos should be about ready, and I think I'm finally going to get to watch Leatherheads that's been sitting on my entertainment center for months.

Joshua

4 comments:

David E Ricketts said...

How was "Leatherheads?" We never discussed it. As you well know, this film is Mr. Clooney's third time directing and I love his other films. For anyone who isn't aware of his directing ability, or just doesn't keep up on directors; his first two are: "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" and "Good Night and Good Luck." Incidently, both films are great and two of my all time favorites. Let me stop, this blogging thing feels as if it might be addicting.

P.S.
Joshua: Please read and edit what I have written so far. thanks, Dave

David E Ricketts said...

Please tell me that this is the second comment tonight that I sent. Just sent you something about George Clooney, to show you that I actually read your blog. Anyway, I read it and thought it was pretentious, wordy, and egotistical. How was my spelling? I am far to busy to check.

J. Bradley Crisman said...

LOL! It was very egotistical, but then again, I've come to expect that of you. Oh, and your speling was pertty bad also.

Anonymous said...

Check out the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris. They're the books that HBO's True Blood series was based off of. Even if you don't like the show, try the books... I promise you'll be hooked!

Love the new look on the website, BTW.

Eve misses you. =)

Tori